Home » The Self-Assessment Essay

The Self-Assessment Essay

During fall semester 2021, I was part of a writing class for the social science class in other words ENGL 21002. At the beginning of this course the major outcomes of this course were explained to us. A series of assignments and activities were realized in order to meet the course learning objectives. The main question is to what extent have I achieved the course learning objectives. I have achieved most of them but some of them I need to work on more in a deep level. The first outcome that I achieved was practice using various library resources, online databases, and the Internet to locate sources appropriate to your writing projects. I achieved this learning outcome during the process of the online community essay, because the whole process of this essay was done online, researching and observing the communities online, through websites, conferences and workshops. The online database was the source for this writing project. The second learning outcome that I feel I achieve was to enhance strategies for reading, drafting, revising, editing, and self-assessment during the personal artifact essay and during the interview essay the main strategies that I used was reading, revising and editing because during the peer-review process after I received the comments from my peer I have to follow up and use the strategies of this learning outcome. The learning outcome that I feel more confident about was acknowledge your and others’ range of linguistic differences as resources, and draw on those resources to develop rhetorical sensibility, because the interview essay was a nice experiences where I was able to know a whole new person and some aspect of her life, I was also in some type of way related to her because we speak the same language and this helped me to understand more and develop my interview wonderings.

On the other hand I know that there were some learning outcomes that I didn’t understand completely and due to this I did not completely achieve these outcomes. One of them is to engage in genre analysis and multimodal composing to explore effective writing across disciplinary contexts and beyond. In some of the assignments I wasn’t able to develop the process the right way and some of my analyses were poorly developed, and the multimodal composition was not complete. Another learning outcome that I want to work further on is negotiate your own writing goals and audience expectations regarding conventions of genre, medium, and rhetorical situation because I don’t really pay attention to my audience when I’m writing I just write however comes out of my mind and also sometimes I don’t fulfill their expectations base on genre. That’s one of my main weaknesses when it comes to writing classes because as I said at the beginning of the semester sometimes I have the ideas but not the organization or the correct analysis to express it. Most of the time I see myself stuck or not able to complete my ideas and I struggle because sometimes I can’t finish the assignments on time. Having a blockade is the most stressful moment.

The three major assignments during this course will be available in my portfolio. In every writing assignment I achieved a different outcome. During the interview essay I achievedto acknowledge your and others’ range of linguistic differences as resources, and draw on those resources to develop rhetorical sensibility. Enhance strategies for reading, drafting, revising, editing, and self-assessment. Also develop and engage in the collaborative and social aspects of writing processes. During the online community essay I achieved Practice using various library resources, online databases, and the Internet to locate sources appropriate to your writing projects and develop and engage in the collaborative and social aspects of writing processes. The purpose of these learning outcomes is to help us, in the writing process, to take it to another level. This course was an awesome experience, because just like I learn many different outcomes I know other students did so. Some of the process was hard because since the course was online we may not put the same interest on class. Also online makes some of the assignments hard because we depended on our partners and sometimes they didn’t even show up to class. This course also requires a lot of analysis and dedication because the majority of the work is based on your own analysis but overall will be more fun to have this course in person classes. This class could be really helpful for anybody no matter what your major is. I will definitely recommend it.